AFSCME Local 3800 – the union of Clerical Workers at the University of Minnesota, USA – hails the historic general strike of PAME in defense of the working class.
We stand in unwavering solidarity with our fellow workers in Greece currently on strike to demand the criminal train corporations be held accountable for the corporate murder and injuries of so many primarily young working class and poor people traveling in Tempe.
As class struggle unionists we understand that the role of unions is to raise the standards for all workers and as internationalists we believe that solidarity and collective action help level the playing field in the struggle between the workers and the boss.
We mourn with our comrades for the death of the two rail workers in recent days. The truth of the matter is all on the job deaths should be classified as murder because the negligence of the boss is 100% the cause of worker deaths.
In uniting the base unions and public sector unions to strike, to demand both justice for the workers and for a guarantee that something like this won’t happen again.
We join you in demanding that this crime must not be covered up!
We stand in solidarity with you in demanding:
- Modern, safe, cheap mass transport against the policy that puts the safety of passengers and the rights of workers in the balance of the costs and profitability of business groups.
- The strengthening of the public and free health care system
- Immediate flood, fire and earthquake protection measures. Control here and now of earthquake armouring in schools, colleges, hospitals, workplaces.
- Immediate measures to protect health and safety in all workplaces.
- Recruitment of permanent staff in health, education, social services, civil protection services
Your struggle is inspiring unionists and the working class around the world. We support your struggle and will continue to stand in solidarity with you until victory for the Greek working class.